Saturday, March 16, 2024

White Wires - Singles and Rarities


One thing I regret about my nearly four-year sabbatical from music reviewing that pre-dated this blog is that I missed most of an incredible run by The White Wires. I caught the tail end of that run and loved the album WWIII. But when I went back and listened to their early singles and first two albums, I was floored. There's no doubt about it: had I been reviewing music circa 2008-2010, The White Wires would have been one of my most highly touted bands. So I relish the opportunity to be able to review this Ottawa-based trio one more time. Singles and Rarities is exactly what it sounds like: a collection of the band's singles and compilation cuts which essentially forms a fourth White Wires album. There's even a previously-unreleased track included! If you want to hear one of past decade's greatest punky power pop garage bands in top form, Singles and Rarities is a must-listen. 7" sides like "Crazy Crazy" and "Pogo 'til I Puke Tonight" are up there with the best of the band's songs, and covers of The Nerves ("Letter to G") and Poppees ("I Need Your Love") are totally aces. The unreleased track, "Spy," is quite good and will be a real treat for fans. You can stream this compilation now and look forward to a vinyl release from It's Alive Records!



No comments: