Saturday, March 16, 2024

My Ten Favorite Pop-Punk Albums of the 20th Century



Here, as promised, is the companion piece to my list of my ten favorite pop-punk albums of the 21st century. Today I'm tackling the 20th century — which most people would consider the glory days of pop-punk. Putting together this list was a challenging task. For one thing, how does one define when pop-punk became a genre onto itself? If I had included first wave punk bands in this discussion, my entire list would have been the Ramones, Buzzcocks, Undertones, and Dickies. I also struggled with how to define pop-punk. Ultimately, I decided to define it fairly broadly. That may not sit well with the pop-punk purists or gatekeepers. But I'm not here to argue about what is or is not pop-punk. With a couple of these albums, I felt like it was questionable to include them — but that it would have been worse to not include them. I will reiterate that this is a list of my ten favorite pop-punk albums of the 20th century — not the ten best or ten most influential or ten most important. It's interesting that all these albums came out in my 20s, and four of them came out in the same calendar year. So clearly my selections were influenced by nostalgia. I'd like to thank Mark for inspiring me to take this trip down memory lane so I could be reminded of how much I love this music. On with it! 

10. Moral Crux - I Was a Teenage Teenager (1994) 
Moral Crux, like Boris the Sprinkler, was a crucial influence in my evolution from pop-punk kid to '77-style punk rock fanatic. All of this band's albums are great, so be sure to explore the full catalog over at Bandcamp if you're unfamiliar with Moral Crux. 

9. Screeching Weasel - Anthem for a New Tomorrow (1993)
Screeching Weasel has several albums that were instrumental in my pop-punk education. That whole run from My Brain Hurts through How To Make Enemies And Irritate People is bulletproof. Anthem for a New Tomorrow is the one I've listened to the most — by far.

8. Boris the Sprinkler - Saucer to Saturn (1995)
Any time I reflect on punk rock and the '90s, I think about how underrated Boris the Sprinkler's catalog is. The spectacle of this band's live show and the geek chic cleverness of its lyrics might have gotten all of the attention, but musically BtS epitomized everything that was great about poppy classic punk. Saucer to Saturn was the band's finest hour.

7. The Lillingtons - Shit Out of Luck (1997) 
Certainly The Lillingtons became a more original and interesting band as they matured. But for me, nothing beats their early, more classically pop-punk stuff. Sing it with me: "LI! LL! ING! TON!"

6. Beatnik Termites - Taste the Sand (1995) 
I've always had a soft spot for pop-punk of the bubblegum variety. Throw in some surf and oldies radio influences, and you've got yourself a classic in Taste the Sand.


5. Green Day - Dookie (1994)
You may have heard of this band. 

4. The Automatics (USA) - self titled (1996) 
Now here was a band that was ahead of its time. Today, the idea of fast, snotty, yet really poppy punk rock with bargain basement production is nothing new. But there was nothing else like The Automatics in the mid-'90s. These guys played fast and raw, yet their songs were brilliantly-crafted and laden with harmonies. The Automatics remain the greatest '90s punk band that nobody talks about.

3. The Queers - Love Songs for the Retarded  (1993) 
This album did not invent pop-punk, but it perfected the formula to the point where it could never be topped — not even by the band that made it.

2. Parasites - Punch Lines (1993) 
For so many years, I swore that Pair was the better Parasites album. Then I grew up, cleaned out my ears, and recognized a masterpiece. "Crazy" is one of the best songs ever written, and "Letdown" is an album closer of legendary proportions.

1. The Muffs - self titled (1993) 
When it comes to records that were life-changing for me, I put this one up there with the first three Ramones albums. I know this is a favorites list and not a "most influential" list. But I can't even begin to calculate how much great music now exists because someone heard The Muffs. The greatest scream in rock 'n' roll! 

Honorable Mentions 
Mr. T. Experience - every single album! 
BUM - Wanna Smash Sensation (1993)
Sicko - You Can Feel the Love in This Room (1994)
Buck - self titled (1998) 
The Queers - Don't Back Down (1996)
Decendents - I Don't Want To Grow Up (1985) 
Chixdiggit - self titled (1996) 
Dirt Bike Annie - Hit the Rock! (1999) 

So tell me: What are your favorite pop-punk albums of the 20th century? 

-L.R.

4 comments:

Gooboy Quisp said...

Most excellent choices! There's one album I played the hell out of in the late 90's you missed - The Fairlanes "Songs For Cruising". Man that was some perfect Pop Punk.

rugrat907 said...

Long time reader, first time commenting. First, just want to say a big thank you - your reviews never fail to turn me on to something I might miss otherwise.

This is a great list! I'd have put MTX "Love Is Dead in there somewhere, but otherwise it's just about perfect. I'm always glad to see the first Lillingtons on a list...while I acknowledge they got better musically as they went along, the whole science fiction thing lost me.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Mark said...

"So tell me: What are your favorite pop-punk albums of the 20th century?"

Here's mine (also favorites, not needed to be the best) I will exclude the 70s/early-mid 80s pop-punk albums and focus on late-80s & 90s bands, so no Descendents, Ramones, etc.). Also, only 1 album per band.

TOP 5 IN NO ORDER:
Badtown Boys - Self-Titled
Screeching Weasel - My Brain Hurts
The Queers - Love Songs For The Retarded
The Lillingtons - Death By Television
Groovie Ghoulies - Fun In The Dark
TOP 6-10 IN NO ORDER:
Green Day - Insomniac
Sweet Baby - It's a Girl!
Bum - Wanna Smash Sensation!
Shock Treatment - Punk Party!!
Riverdales - Storm The Streets

Never been a superfan of MTX or Parasites

Mark said...

Worth mentioning, even if they are not proper LPs, the Lookout Records compilation-albums by Sludgeworth (Losers Of The Year) and Vindictives (The Many Moods Of...)