When I talk about this being an epic year for power pop, part of that is the great variety of bands/artists who fall broadly under that banner. So it's not like all this stuff sounds the same. On its debut album When I Lost My Heart, Germany's Nonchalant meets at the intersection of power pop and '70s punk with a touch of new wave. Well now you're really speaking my language! This album is absolutely a throwback to 1979 or '80, and I've got no complaints. Once again, I will reiterate that punks aspiring to write great pop songs is my jam. And Nonchalant nails that vibe perfectly. It's as if this band hailed from the heyday of Good Vibrations Records, lived through the early years of synth-pop, and then hopped a time machine to today. The melody, hooks, energy, and romance that make this sort of music so appealing are all there. This band leaves no doubt as to which lane it wants to occupy, and it carries off the sound with reverence and vigor. If O.G. punk/powerpop is your thing, you won't be nonchalant about this record!
https://nonchalant.bandcamp.com/album/when-i-lost-my-heart
https://www.instagram.com/nonchalant_77punk/
https://open.spotify.com/album/3DvbIbrmwyEb3GhqO3OIcj

No comments:
Post a Comment