Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Parasites - self-titled EP


How wild is that I've now been reviewing Parasites records over a period of thirty+ years? If you had told me, when I was a 24-year-old kid, that I'd be writing about a new Parasites EP in 2026, I would have declared you insane. But Dave is still going strong three decades later, and I still haven't found a more appealing hobby than dancing about architecture. So here we are! Out on Something To Do Records, Parasites' new self-titled EP is the band's first release since 2023's EP​-​Onymous and its first standalone EP comprised of new recordings since 1997! So yeah, this is kind of a big deal. In my admittedly biased opinion, Parasites are an all-time top ten pop-punk band, and the A-side of this release is totally in line with what you'd expect from a band that helped define the sound of '90s pop-punk. If you could somehow go back in time and slip "Until You Go" and "The Day You're Gonna Break My Heart" onto Punch Lines or Rat Ass Pie, no one would have been the wiser. When it comes to writing these gut-punch earworm love songs, Dave remains a master of his craft. 1996 me would have eaten these songs up. 

So we're talking vintage Parasites, right? Yes and no! Flip the record over, and you are in for some real surprises. "Drown" is the first time Dave has ever done a proper ballad (replete with strings and piano), and it's all raw emotion and heartfelt sentiment without any heavy guitars or speedy tempos to lean on. I have to admit I heard those opening strains of acoustic guitars and thought Dave was about to go full-on Goo Goo Dolls. But you know what? Lyrically, this is pretty par for the course for a Parasites song. It's genuinely moving and more than a little devastating. It should never be a stretch for a really good pop band to be able to pull off a song like this, and so the Parasites as legitimate balladeers is unexpected but perfectly logical. Dave's vocal definitely has me feeling the song, and that melody has been slowly but surely lodging itself inside my brain. To finish the EP, "What Am I Gonna Do With You" finds the band further entering orchestral pop territory with a cover of an old Gerry Goffin/Russ Titelman composition. The song is most closely associated with The Chiffons, who recorded it first. But Dave's inspiration here was Lesley Gore's version from 1965. Those are some big shoes to fill! At the very least, I applaud the ambition  

I imagine the second side of this EP will be highly divisive. Some longtime fans may be thrown for a loop and perhaps even feel ripped-off. Others might actually like Side 2 better! Certainly no songwriter should ever have to be limited to one musical style for life. Even Dave Parasite can only write so many textbook pop-punk songs before he gets a little tired of it. Whether this is a one-off thing or the start of his Brian Wilson phase remains to be seen. I will certainly be interested in hearing what people think of this departure from Parasites-as-usual. For now, I'll say this: I don't hate it. 

Hit up Something To Do Records if you want to order this EP on 12" vinyl. First pressing is limited to 150 copies on glow-in-the-dark green vinyl and 150 on black vinyl. CDs will also be available courtesy of Waterslide Records.

No comments: