I've noticed, and I am sure you have too: the sheer amount of music that's out there and available to listen to these days is vast, overwhelming, and growing exponentially. But leave it to Vista Blue to remind us that that's not necessarily a bad thing. On its new single "So Much Music!", the band reflects on this world we now live in. There really is so much music out there that no one could ever keep up with everything. We will all die without hearing hundreds of records we may have loved. You've got new bands and artists popping up every day. You've got reissues of old stuff you love and old stuff you may have never heard but would like to hear. Heck, The Glow Bots broke up in '98 while recording "Genie in the Amp," and their label just released the unmastered tracks on Bandcamp. But you know what? It's all OK!
On the virtual B-side, the faster, punkier "She Only Listens To Blue" is another love letter to music geekery. It's a simple concept, as it's about a girl who believes that the blue album is the only good Weezer record. I could probably start a war if I stated an opinion on this topic, so I'll just say a lot of you will have your own strong opinions one way or another. And isn't that the sort of thing that makes it so much fun to be a rock nerd? You may know someone who only listens to blue. You may be that person. But you probably don't have to travel far to find someone who is willing to die on the hill of Hurley having a couple of good songs. I like that the narrator in the song is a good sport about all of this. If two people with very different opinions about Weezer can maintain a functioning relationship, there has to be hope for this world.
I know what you're thinking: What's Vista Blue doing releasing music on any day other than Friday? Well, you know there's so much music out there. Sundays are lighter traffic for new releases. And now you've got all week to find four minutes to listen to this gem of a single. Hey, all you bands out there putting music into the world: I salute you!
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment