Saturday, August 19, 2023

Tomb City - "Girl" b/w "Ramones"


Pop-punk for me is a hit-or-miss thing. But when it hits, there's not much I enjoy more in music. Iowa's Tomb City plays Ramones-inspired pop-punk, and perhaps that doesn't sound so inspiring. But there's something really unique and appealing about the band's debut single on Laptop Punk Records. "Girl" is fast-paced pop-punk, but the lo-fi/blown-out recording and endearingly dorky vocals are interesting touches you don't often come across in "Ramonescore" type music. I can't quite put my finger on why I like this song so much, but I'm compelled to keep pressing play. I dig that blend of catchiness and rawness. And how often do you come across pop-punk bands that play this fast? The second song, "Ramones," is a tribute to (you guessed it!) the Ramones. Luckily, this song manages to celebrate the Ramones without trying to be the Ramones. And that is the best possible tribute. With the entire single running just a little past two minutes, there's little room here for anyone to get bored. This is a very promising debut, and I hope to hear more from Tomb City!

No comments: