Sunday, February 19, 2023

Miesha & the Spanks - "It's My Year"

Coming off a single on Reta Records that was one of my favorites of last year, the fantastic duo Miesha & the Spanks is poised to release an amazing new album this spring. And when I say "amazing," I mean minds will be blown. In advance of the album release, Miesha and Sean have unleashed another smash hit single called "It's My Year." With it still only being mid-February, we can all take something meaningful from this song about the endless possibilities lying ahead of us in 2023. And even if you're cynical about New Year's resolutions, you'll find this song's message to be far more universal than that. It seems weird that I'd mention the lyrics first, but I don't think you can separate the music from the lyrics. "It's My Year" is a song about overcoming personal struggles, self-doubt, and that feeling of not fitting in. It starts out with a haunting verse, and then a huge sing-along chorus propels the tune out of the darkness and into the light. What begins as a bummer song turns into an anthem of optimism and determination. This is a theme as old as time itself. But with Miesha & the Spanks selling it, I'm totally buying all of it. Time to break out the bucket list and start checking off boxes! "No, I will not stand in my way" is a valuable mantra for all of us. Perfectly in line with the music and lyrics, the music video tells a story that reinforces the message of the song. If you like heavy guitar garage rock with a punk influence, you're gonna go crazy for the new album Unconditional Love In Hi-Fi (releasing April 14 on Mint Records). For now, enjoy "It's My Year" and remember it's never too late to demand more out of life.

No comments: