Wednesday, May 19, 2021

The Chelsea Curve - "All in Time"


One of the wonderful ironies of this brave new world of streaming and downloading is that it has given new life to one of the most traditional formats in recorded music: the single. Don't get me wrong -- I still love albums. But as a lifelong music fan, I've always found it rewarding to "consume" music one song at a time. When I was a kid, there was always something super cool about buying a 45 and playing the A-side over and over and over again. That way I really got to know the song. These days, it's a similar experience when a band releases a digital single. I really enjoy taking in a song as a singular artistic creation. On that note, I love what The Chelsea Curve is doing right now: releasing a series of monthly singles that will culminate with an album release. "All in Time", out on Red On Red Records, is the Boston trio's second single and a more than satisfying follow-up to its stunning debut "Girl Cavedog". "All In Time" is another energetic shot of mod-inspired power pop meets poppy punk. It brings great energy, tons of hooks, and tremendous lyrical substance. And as always, Linda Pardee's voice sounds absolutely amazing. This is a song about "trying to keep one's own mental faculties together while watching a loved one lose theirs". No doubt that's a very serious theme, but the song is carried off in an uplifting, hopeful way. Running just a few ticks past two-and-a-half minutes, it always leaves me wanting more. Thankfully another single is coming very soon!

No comments: