Friday, August 28, 2026

Vista Blue - "Championship of Love"


Just in time for Week Zero of College Football season 2026, we get Vista Blue's first-ever football-themed (or as Mick Fletcher will insist, American football–themed) single! And once again, I'm reminded of why this is one of my favorite bands. Day 1 of college football season is practically a holiday for me. I'm decorating the house, stocking up on snacks, studying the two-deeps, and canceling all my prior commitments. And I'll be pre-gaming with "Championship of Love"! 

The energetic & very poppy title track is the kind of song Mike is so very good at writing: a song ostensibly about an aging football player hoping for one last shot at a ring that is really a love song (about a dude hoping for, uh, one last shot at a ring). The song is loaded with classic football references (contract incentives, playbooks, the trenches, plays under review, telegraphing moves, franchise tags, hail Mary passes) which contribute to the larger metaphor. It's tough enough to find love when you're young and at your peak. But what happens when you've lost a step and your game is in decline? There's nothing worse than wanting something so badly and feeling in your gut that it's out of reach. But still, you never give up. And that's what this song celebrates. Even with me having won the championship of love a number of years ago, there was a long period of time when I wondered if I ever would. Twentysomething me is really feeling this song. 

On the digital flip side, the punkier (at least two reviewers will call it Ramones-ish) "She's My Taysom Hill" at first appears to be another song using football as a metaphor for romantic relationships. But upon further inspection, I'm sensing a flipped script! This sure seems to be a love song that's really about a football player. What happens when that dependable & versatile quarterback/tight end/fullback/receiver/special teamer who has always been #1 in your heart parts ways with your favorite team? It's a tough pill to swallow, especially when you have to think about him possibly going to the Broncos and finally winning a ring. Sports breakups can be brutal (I refuse to face the fact that Kyle Schwarber will someday not be a Phillie), and sometimes music is all we have to make them bearable. This is one of the sweetest dumb songs you'll ever hear. And it pairs so perfectly with the A-side! 

Alright! Vista Blue, as always, could not be any more on-point with its timing. Everybody loves football! Who's ready for Week Zero? I was so pumped that I wanted to go back to the school paper for the fifth year I never had, but the Big Ten says it won't take any former pros. I bet Lane Kiffin would hook me up. For the next 19 Saturdays, I will not be very productive. Something tells me my reviews will be getting a lot shorter. I don't think anyone will be complaining. 

No comments: