Saturday, August 10, 2024

Strange Neighbors - "Crush"

Strange Neighbors out of New York are a terrific band I've reviewed before. I've done a lousy job of keeping up with their recent output, but, hey, I suppose it's never too late to correct that. I still have a draft of a review for the Party of None EP that was never completed for reasons I honestly cannot identify. What I appreciate about Strange Neighbors is that they are, broadly speaking, a power pop band but don't necessarily subscribe to one single genre or approach to making music. They craft tuneful pop songs with likeable, relatable lyrics, and they draw from a wide range of indie/alternative influences both new and old. The band describes new single "Crush" as a song that "captures the exhilarating chaos and uncertainty of a new romantic infatuation." Who can't relate to that? I love how the song's lyrics are both clever and vulnerable, and this tune really does capture the emotional rollercoaster that is infatuation. I can't think of a more universal theme for a pop song, and the band does a wonderful job of using both music and lyrics to evoke the emotional chaos of a crush. From Aidan's lead vocal to that big hook chorus to the melody of the song, everything about "Crush" hits the mark. And just when I thought I couldn't like this song any more, I read in the liner notes that it was inspired by Chappell Roan. Honestly some days I don't feel like listening to punk rock or power pop and just want to listen to Chappell Roan on repeat. With "Crush," Strange Neighbors have given me the best of both worlds. Now excuse me while I go listen to "Casual" and have a good cry. 

No comments: