Monday, April 29, 2019

The Cheap Cassettes - "Worse N' Better"

Here's another one of those "No, you didn't just imagine that I reviewed this before!" posts. I did the same thing with Geoff Palmer's new single earlier in the month. And if I don't extend The Cheap Cassettes the very same courtesy, that would really diminish the chances of one of these guys someday buying me an adult beverage. We are talking about one of my three favorite bands and all the glory that entails. Guys, I swear your F & L varsity jackets are in production!

"Worse N' Better"/"Hieroglyphics In Lipstick" is The Cheap Cassettes' second 7", but it was actually their first single. Confused yet? These two songs originally came out on a nifty-looking cassette single I reviewed back in September of 2017. But with that release limited to a scant 50 copies, the fabled Cheap Cassettes' debut cassette is probably even rarer than the cassingles you might have owned back in the '90s (check under the back seat of your car just in case). The band's plan all along was to eventually release this single on record. And you know what? When The Cheap Cassettes plan things, they follow through! The band has flipped the order of the songs and released them as a 7" record on its own label Cassettes On Record Records. So now "Worse N' Better" is "the hit", and "Hieroglyphics In Lipstick" is the proverbial "B-side that could have been the A-side". I would not have argued either way. "Worse N' Better" probably didn't get the attention it deserved the first time around, so now it steps into the spotlight. I won't really get into breaking down these two tracks since I've, you know, already done that. I'll just say that if you like power pop and aren't already an obsessed fan of The Cheap Cassettes, what are you waiting for?! And how cool must it be to be able to put out your own record and have it say "recorded & mixed by Kurt Bloch" on the back?! Head on over to Bandcamp and order this bad boy today!



-L.R.

https://cheapcassettes.bandcamp.com/ 
https://www.facebook.com/cheapcassettes/ 
https://www.facebook.com/cassettesonrecordrecords 

No comments: