Sunday, August 30, 2026

Rob Moss and Skin-Tight Skin and TA-80 - Split single


I am very pleased to have yet another opportunity to write about Rob Moss and Skin-Tight Skin's split singles series, and this latest installment is one I've been especially stoked about! With a lot of these singles, I've become more educated about bands or artists I was not yet super familiar with. This time out, Moss and his band are collaborating with TA-80, one of my favorite bands. So in this case, with me being a big fan of both bands, I was really excited about hearing what would happen when they traded songs. It seems an unlikely pairing on the surface, but that is what makes it so intriguing. 

Moss and Skin-Tight Skin (which, on this release, finds lead guitarist Marshall Keith joining bassist Tom McNally and drummer Steve Naff ) take on TA-80's "Black Glitter" from the 2018 album of the same name. Moss notes that he saw Marshall Keith playing with The Slickee Boys back in late 1979 or early 1980. And the impression that that performance made on him was massive. Says Moss: "They were having so much fun on stage that, even though I had yet to pick up a bass or a guitar, I knew I had to start a band. So, for me, Marshall playing on my songs now is a treat." The original version of "Black Glitter" is a typical TA-80 pop/punk rock 'n' roll party-starter. Moss and his band transform it into a grittier old school punk sing-along with snotty vocals and ripping lead guitar. It's a killer take on a fantastic song! Both versions of the song are chock full of attitude, but they are definitely different kinds of attitude. If you heard this track on a playlist, you'd have no reason to suspect Moss didn't write it.  

On TA-80's half of the split, the band tears into "Two Slices of Bread," which originally appeared on Moss's excellent 2022 album Now With More Rockets. Moss wrote the song as an homage to Willie Alexander and The Boom Boom Band. TA-80 has taken the song and run with it, turning into something that sounds like early '80s Southern California hardcore punk! The energy and speed are dialed way up. The band's affection for the original version is undeniable, but I love that it brought its own unique energy to this version (replete with some obligatory guitar shredding). 

In keeping with the spirit of this entire series, both bands here were not at all handicapped by a fear of changing the songs they were covering. They both really went for it, and what results is a single that's a lot of fun to listen to. It's like watching two monsters swap brains and get up and try to dance. If you're a fan of both bands as I am, this single is an essential purchase. If one of these two bands is new to you, I imagine you'll be inspired to dig into their back catalog! This is another winner in a series that continually hits the mark.

No comments: