Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Josephine Network - Little Spells


Two new albums in six months? It seems we might have entered a portal to 1981, but Little Spells is no contractual obligation from Josephine Network. It just shows that Josephine is on a creative roll, and we are all very fortunate to be able to enjoy it! 

If the last album Hooked was Josephine's lean into the louder, more arena-rocking side of power pop, Little Spells is more of a pure pop record — albeit one that isn't afraid to rock when it needs to. Recorded with Olive Faber from Sunflower Bean over the winter/spring of 2024-25, Little Spells is a charming little guitar pop record that deserves to be appreciated in its own right. Of course Hooked is a hard act to follow, but if you're a Josephine Network fan, Little Spells will not leave you wanting. I might, in fact, like this album a little more than Hooked since I'm such a geek for that '70s by way of the '60s classic power pop sound that looms large here. 

Josephine's knack for writing melodious two-minute pop songs with infectious hooks and clever lyrics is on display from start to finish. "Gotta Get Outta My Heart" is vintage Josephine and a perfect tone-setter. With its blend of sweet melody and playful sexual energy, "Bumpin' Into You" would not have sounded out of place on Hooked. "He's Not Mine" could almost be The Monkees, and I mean that as nothing less than a supreme compliment. "Music Turns Me Round" is giving Stones meet Big Star, and I've got no complaints. The album's middle section finds Josephine in her sweet spot of Beatles-influenced textbook power pop. If you listen to this record, be ready for the jangly "Put A Guitar In Her Hands" to be stuck in your head all week. "I Could Say No" kicks up some Raspberries-style harmonies via George Harrison pop majesty. "Little Spell" is gentle and sweet and simply makes my heart smile. The appropriately-titled "Magnificent" walks a delicate line between '60s pop and '70s AM radio/soft rock. Then to finish the record, we get some pleasing changes of pace with the thoughtful rocker "Tall Buildings" and the stripped-down, piano-driven "Sisters" — an anthem of love and affirmation. 

This 2026 is turning into one for the history books for fans of power pop & indie pop, and my attitude is that we should take the time to appreciate the embarrassment of riches that the music gods have blessed us with. "Too much" good music is an absolutely wonderful problem to have. I may have not set any records for speed in getting this review of Little Spells into public view, but the silver lining is that I had a few weeks to simply enjoy the record before I had to start thinking about what I wanted to say about it. If one new album from Josephine Network this year was a cause for celebration, two is even better! There are a few things in life that I literally never get tired of, and a well-written pop song with hummable melodies and an earworm chorus is certainly one of them. And I appreciate how Josephine wears her love for recording and performing on her sleeve. A great pop-rock record ought to be something that you can turn to when you want to feel good, and Little Spells definitely falls into that category. What a gem! 

No comments: