Thursday, September 03, 2026

Radio Days - Off The Record


It sometimes feels like I've been writing about Radio Days forever, but my first review was back in 2013. So that's not quite forever. Still, a 13-year relationship between Radio Days and Faster and Louder is certainly considerable. This band is one of the surest things in modern music. Every record they put out is a timeless & beautifully crafted work of traditional power pop. If I had to list my favorite 25 power pop bands of all-time, there's a very good chance Radio Days would make the cut. 

Off The Record, the band's new album (out tomorrow on Wild Honey Records and Ammonia Records), isn't particularly surprising in terms of musical style or approach. But why would you want it to be? When it comes to Radio Days, I just want great pop songs. I never tire of the band's approach because they do it so remarkably well. And their sound is so fresh because they infuse modern power pop influences into their classic, '60s and '70's–inspired songwriting foundation. In 2016, I named their long player Back in the Day my album of the year, and I'd do it again if I had to re-evaluate the LPs that came out that year. Off The Record might be every bit as good. Radio Days as a band have definitely matured and refined their talents over the years, but they've never lost sight of those things that matter the most: memorable melodies, silky-smooth harmonies, perfect choruses, and timeless love songs. As a craftsman of melody, Dario Persi is criminally underrated. He's also a wonderful singer. The band's lyrics, written by Paco Orsi and Mattia Baretta, will remind you why you first came to love pop music and why you keep going back to it. 

It seems almost unnecessary to say that Off The Record is a classic power pop record since that's the only kind of record that Radio Days bother to make. But I will say that while many power pop bands kind of grow tiresome if they don't change up their approach over time, Radio Days are on album #5 of pure power pop classicism and are only getting better. With each new album, I keep thinking, "This is finally the one they won't be able to top." And then the next one comes out, and I say the same thing. I'm done doubting these guys. 99.9% of bands would wish for a greatest-hits compilation as good as Off the Record. From the punchy and melodious "I Won't Give Up" to the all-the-feels majesty of "One Heart One Love" to the sun-kissed '70s splendor of "Paralyzed" to the pure pop bliss of "She's My Girl" to the laidback, Weezer-ish stunner "I've Got a Song" and all points in between, this album is all killer and no filler. And it certainly didn't hurt to have Bruno Barcella, one of the finest music producers in the business, recording and mixing these songs. 

While Off the Record will certainly appeal to folks who love their classic power pop, I don't think a word like "retro" correctly captures the vibe. Radio Days aren't trying to bring back power pop — they're simply one of many bands keeping the legacy alive. As 2026 continues to establish itself as an extraordinary year for guitar pop albums, I hope people will realize that one of the very best of the lot has come from Milan, Italy.

No comments: