Friday, October 18, 2024

Vista Blue - They Came Back


It's somewhat odd that while I'm generally not much of a horror fan, every year I really look forward to Vista Blue's annual horror-themed EP. It's never fully the fall in my world until Vista Blue releases more songs about horror flicks and scary stuff. And if it's not fully fall, I can't start drinking my Christmas ales. They Came Back is this year's VB fall seasonal, and it does not disappoint. On this EP, the band gives us songs about a haunted house, a haunted graveyard, and the 1971 movie Let's Scare Jessica to Death (which actually sounds like a scary movie I might enjoy). All of this leads up to the highlight of the EP — a freaking amazing cover of Ministry's "Every Day Is Halloween." Never in a million years could I have imagined this song arranged in Vista Blue's signature style and actually working. But holy cow, Mike and Mark totally pulled it off! If Old Style Dry is ever rebooted, Vista Blue has to do the commercial. Recently I joked about Mike earning his goth card, and now he has gone and stamped the thing! He'll be wearing capes by the year's end! As always, the songs are so tuneful and well-crafted that they could really be about anything. But I must admit that "Haunted House on My Street" makes me laugh out loud. It truly is the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments: