Sunday, May 19, 2024

My Ten Favorite Punk Rock Albums of the 21st Century



So once I published my list of my ten favorite power pop albums of the 21st century, the wheels in my head started turning. I knew I'd be compelled to also list my ten favorite punk rock albums of the 21st century. Now keep in mind we all have our own definitions of "punk rock." I have no interest in defending my definition or criticizing someone else's. And of course I'm not trying to identify the "greatest" or most influential punk rock albums of this century. These are just the ones I love the most personally. And many of these albums would rank amongst my all-time favorite punk LPs, period. So while I'm notoriously geeky about first generation punk and the 1990s revival, I've always made an effort to keep up with the newer bands and never allow myself to get jaded about this genre of music. Hats off to Mick Fletcher, who has been posting new punk rock music almost daily for over a decade and was ultimately responsible for introducing me to the band that holds the top spot on this list! 

It blows me away when I realize that the 21st century already covers a period of nearly 25 years. Picking just ten favorite punk rock albums from that time period was a difficult task. That's why I included a bunch of honorable mentions. But I feel good about these choices. I hope you all discover something new from this list — or at the very least reconnect with a record you haven't heard in a while. On to it! 

10. The Gaggers - Rip You Apart (2011)
Snotty '70s-style razorblade punk rock hadn't sounded this good in decades!

9. The Dimestore Haloes - The Ghosts of Saturday Night (2004) 
My favorite '90s punk rock band actually released one of its best albums in the 2000s.

8. Midnite Snaxxx - Chew on This (2017) 
Dulcinea Gonzalez just might be the most underrated punk vocalist/songwriter ever.

7. The Kidnappers - Neon Signs (2006) 
One of the least "Rip Off–ish" albums ever released by Rip Off Records, and also one of the best albums ever released by Rip Off Records.

6. Night Birds - Mutiny at Muscle Beach  (2015) 
100%, this record can stand toe-to-toe with all the classic beach/surf–punk albums that inspired it. How prophetic was "Left in the Middle"?! 

5. Something Fierce - Don't Be So Cruel (2011) 
Basically I liked this album so much that it made me want to write about music again!

4. Hayley and the Crushers - Modern Adult Kicks (2022) 
Over the course of three albums from 2018 through 2022, Hayley and the Crushers progressed from good to very good to truly great right before our eyes and ears. This was no accident: this was a band working on its craft, honing its musical vision, and maturing into something extraordinary. Modern Adult Kicks is the definitive post-pandemic record and proof that punk rock for grown-ups can still kick ass. I actually feel a little guilty about leaving it off the podium!

3. The Bobbyteens - Not So Sweet (2000) 
The '60s girl group–inspired wing of garage punk rock 'n' roll has been a major force in the 21st century, and this is the album that started the party.

2. Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic (2002)
This is the only album to appear on both this list and my corresponding power pop list. Of course the Hearts were a huge part of the modern power pop revival, but to me, Guitar Romantic sounded just as much like '77 punk as it did vintage power pop. The influence of the likes of The Jam ("I'm A Pretender"), The Clash ("Rumors In Town"), and The Boys ("Boulevard Trash") on this record is palpable, and no modern band has been more important in reminding us that so much of the best first wave punk holds up because it was also great pop music. I've lost track of how many times I've listened to Guitar Romantic over the past 20+ years, and I never tire of it.

1. Pale Lips - After Dark (2019) 
I would not fight you if you told me that you prefer Wanna Be Bad. But for me, After Dark has been my ultimate Pale Lips go-to, and it's hard to name many records that are more emblematic of what rock 'n' roll music is all about. This, my friends, is 12 tracks of sheer unbridled joy which prove you can have smarts and substance in your songs and still be all about fun. This was a true group in the best sense of the term. You had the total rock star guitarist, a vocalist who exuded the true spirit of punk rock, and two powerhouse rhythm players who held it all together. In my book, After Dark is worthy of classic status. If you have young people in your life and want them to understand why punk rock is the best music ever and why they should immediately start their own bands, After Dark ought to be part of your gift package. 

Honorable Mentions 
The Prostitutes - Kill Them Before They Eat (2009) 
Stiletto Boys - A Company of Wolves (2000) 
Phone Jerks - self-titled (2018) 
Girl Drink Drunks - self titled (2017) 
The Melmacs - Good Advice (2022) 
The Control Freaks - Get Some Help (2021) 
The Busy Signals - self titled (2007) 
Los Pepes - For Everyone (2014) 

1 comment:

Josh said...

That Something Fierce record is truly a masterpiece.