Wednesday, October 07, 2026
Twerp - 1,000 Ways to Hotwire Your Life
1,000 Ways to Hotwire Your Life, the new EP from Cleveland-based frantic foursome Twerp, is an absolutely delightful jolt of energy that rides the oh-so-fine fine line between punk rock and new wave. I suppose you could call this "egg punk." But my mind doesn't go to modern-day egg punk when I hear this record; it goes more to Devo and The Waitresses. These tunes are spastic, jerky, and endearingly weird — the sort of music that is in the air and water in northeastern Ohio. Even with the artsy, freewheeling edge, the songs are well-crafted and super-appealing. The singer Mojang has personality and charisma all day long. And I'm totally won over by the audacity of a band that can follow 6 songs in 11 minutes with a nearly 7-minute symphony of chaos. What a brilliant record! I'm late to the party on Twerp's previous EP Digital Distortion, but that's totally killer as well. This is one of the best new punk bands I've heard in quite some time. I'm always up for new ways to hotwire my life, so I'll gladly welcome 1,000 of them!
Labels:
Garage Punk,
new wave,
Ohio
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment