Sunday, November 05, 2023

Shiverlane - I Get Nervous


I've got a good one for you today! Shiverlane is a newer (formed in 2020) Boston-based foursome featuring members of The Rudds, Thinner, Preacher Roe, The Rationales, Fat Randy, Ringtail, and Tom Baker's Double Down. "I Get Nervous," the band's new single, follows the David Minehan–produced EP In Bits and precedes another single called "Aeroplane Driver." I know that "perfect pop song" is one of my most frequently-used phrases, but it definitely applies to "I Get Nervous." What I love about this song is that it's power pop in a broad sense but doesn't necessarily fall under the constraints of a single genre. It's got great hooks and punchy guitars, but it's also clever, unique, and at times quite surprising. In some alternate universe where 1994 never ended, this song would be in heavy rotation on alternative rock radio formats! I highly recommend checking out In Bits as well ("Surgeon General's Warning" is my new personal anthem). Shiverlane doesn't really sound like any other band, but spiritually they're on the same wavelength as The Airport 77s. "I Get Nervous" was slated for release on Red on Red Records. Justine Covault was a huge fan and great friend to Shiverlane. I can think of no better tribute than to continue to celebrate the bands she loved and the Boston music scene she worked so tirelessly to champion. Shiverlane is one of the most promising new bands I've heard in a long time, and I'll have more to say in a couple weeks!


No comments: