Friday, October 27, 2023

Vista Blue - Even Dracula Will Be There

 


October can never truly be over until Vista Blue releases its annual Halloween EP. A lot of us were starting to worry that the band was cutting it close this year. I was beginning to imagine some nightmare scenario where I'd have to re-live Penn State losing to Ohio State on an endless loop, and I'd never get to crack open my Christmas beers. But with nine days to spare, Mike and Mark came through in a big way. Even Dracula Will Be There is everything you'd want a Vista Blue Halloween release to be. I always appreciate the band's ability to summarize an entire horror movie in under three minutes. Appearing on this EP are odes to two highly-rated indie horror flicks of very recent vintage: Patrick Rea's They Wait in the Dark and John Isberg's Final Summer. "Final Summer," which has a hook to die for, is the kind of song we hope Vista Blue will never stop writing. "I Gotta Rock" references It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and turns out to be the ultimate Halloween anthem. This was a brilliant idea for a song, and I must say Mike and Rusty totally did it justice. For those of you who have Halloween playlists, "I Gotta Rock" is 100% a mandatory addition.  

It's Halloween weekend, and all is right with the world. You can stream They Wait in the Dark and Final Summer, listen to Vista Blue EPs for hours, and daydream about the candy you are soon to receive. I will pour myself a Christmas ale and contemplate the horror of Craig Kimbrel blowing the Phillies' season.

No comments: