Friday, September 13, 2019

Mystery Girl - "Heartbreaker"

Now here's a band that's had a productive past couple of years! Mystery Girl's new single  "Heartbreaker" is already its fourth release since the early part of last year. This Albany, New York based foursome is so totally up my alley that I'm kind of embarrassed that I've never reviewed the band before! I checked out "Heartbreaker" on a tip from Alex Kish, and I was immediately into it. The title track falls somewhere in between glam-punk and power pop, and it's a total earworm. It's got really catchy lead guitar work, a memorable chorus, and some top-notch backing vocals. What a damn good tune! I've been whistling that melody for a week! B-side "Salted Slug" turns to some straight-up Johnny Thunders inspired punk rock and roll. I of course have a soft spot for this sort of thing, and I must say that Mystery Girl pulls off the style quite well. That hook is legit, and again the lead guitar sounds amazing. This song is so impressive that I actually checked to make sure it wasn't a cover of some obscure Heartbreakers tune!

Alright, this is how you do a 7-inch! You've got a pair of songs that are quite different from each other yet equally good. If you dig glammy punk rock with a pop sensibility, this is a band worth looking into!

    
-L.R.

https://mysterygirl518.bandcamp.com/album/heartbreaker-ep 
https://www.facebook.com/MysteryGirl518/ 
https://brainslash.storenvy.com/products/26321412-mystery-girl-heartbreaker-7-ep 

No comments: