Well here's something really amazing! Patton is a musical project formed by, of course, the Pattons, to celebrate their parents' 50th wedding anniversary. You know I love family bands! This single has been in the works for quite some time, but it was kept a super top secret until today. Given that more than a few Vista Blue fans frequent this site, I can say with great confidence that a lot of you are going to love this Vista Blue–related project. Mike is on guitar. Todd is on bass. Brett, I believe for the first time since The Loblaws days, is singing lead! Mike's kids Nolan and Alana both play drums. Mike's wife Donna sings some harmony vocals. Beyond me saying that I hope a full Patton album will one day happen, I'm just so moved by this digital single (a Bandcamp exclusive). Imagine if you possessed musical talent and used it to create something this beautiful for your parents/grandparents/in-laws on the date of their 50th anniversary. That's a sweet and special thing.
The A-side is a punched-up cover of The Eagles' classic "The Best of My Love." While my 25-year-old self would have been deeply ashamed that I'd ever refer to any Eagles song as a "classic," 55-year-old me is a total sucker for '70s soft rock. So I was pretty stoked by the song choice. If you are familiar with the bittersweet lyrics and are wondering why this song is appropriate for an occasion like this, well, this was the song that the happy couple danced to at their wedding 50 years ago! So of course it had to be the lead track. Man, Brett totally smashed that vocal!
On the B-side, "Apartment C" is an ode to the old Patton family residence in Chalmette, Louisiana. It's an upbeat, poppy original that's lovingly sentimental without being sappy. Writing a song for your parents' 50th anniversary has to be a daunting task. You don't want to screw it up. You don't want to lay it on too thick. What we have here with "Apartment C" is simply perfect. If this song doesn't have you a little misty-eyed, you might be a robot or something monstrous like a Crimson Tide fan (I kid). And how about a shout-out to Chris for that guitar solo!
A lesser family band might have claimed its name was inspired by Van Halen, but Patton will tell you that they are emulating Nelson. Since I've been willing to die on the hill of Nelson being a good band for 35 years, I fully endorse the choice. 50 years ago, a couple of teenagers fell in love, got married, and formed a family. This single is a celebration of all of that. Think of all these amazing people playing on this record who would never have existed if these two people had not believed in each other and taken a leap of faith together! I'm grateful that this single, which was created for a private family celebration, has been made available to the world at large. I think people will be moved by it. I think people will tap into the joy it exudes. If you could somehow quantify the amount of love that went into these two songs, Rate Your Music would have to adjust its algorithms and allow six-star reviews. Happy anniversary, Cindy and Mike!

No comments:
Post a Comment